The Warren Public Library is pleased to announce that Busch Branch Library and Burnette Branch Library now have laptop computers that can be checked out by Warren residents FREE OF CHARGE.
Each laptop comes with a mobile hotspot to provide free Internet access and has the Microsoft Office Suite and Zoom app installed. Laptops may be checked out to Warren residents ages 18 years or older for 7 days with no renewals. A valid Warren Public Library card that was created at least 3 full months prior to checkout and current identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or military photo ID are required at checkout.
This project is funded (in part) with a Library Services and Technology Act grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services administered by the Library of Michigan.
How do I checkout a laptop?
Laptops are only available directly from Busch Branch Library and Burnette Branch Library. There are no holds. To check out a laptop, visit the circulation desk at Busch Branch Library or Burnette Branch Library. You will need to fill out a Warren Public Library Laptop Lending Agreement (where you agree to the items listed below) to check out a laptop.
What are the rules for checking out a laptop?
To checkout a laptop, patrons must:
- be 18 years or age or older.
- be a Warren resident and have a valid Warren Public Library account that was created at least three full months/90 days prior to checkout.
- present a current driver’s license, passport, or military photo ID at the time of checkout.
- be in good standing with the library.
- return laptops and all components to a staff member at the circulation desk at the Warren Public Library location where the item was checked out.
What are the fines and liability?
- Laptops may be checked out for 7 days, with no renewals.
- Only one WPL Laptop or WPL Mobile Hotspot can be checked out at any time per household.
- Households must wait 14 days after returning a laptop or a mobile hotspot before another device can be checked out to any household member from any Warren Public Library.
- The overdue fine is $5.00 per day until returned.
- Overdue laptops will have their accompanying mobile hotspots deactivated within 24 hours after the due date.
- If a hotspot has to be deactivated, the patron will be charged a $5.00 reactivation fee.
- Patrons will be charged $25 for devices returned to a book drop (indoor or outdoor) or to another library.
- The laptop should be kept in a temperature-controlled environment. DO NOT leave it in your car.
- The patron is responsible for costs associated with loss or damage to the laptop and/or peripherals.
- Returned laptops are subject to library staff inspection after being checked in.
- Note to Parents/Guardians: Internet content filtering is not provided. You are responsible for all content accessed using the laptop/accompanying hotspot.
What are the replacement charges if I lose or damage a laptop?
- Laptop: $375
- Laptop Case: $55
- Laptop Power Cord: $25
- Laptop Screen Protector: $20
- Laptop Mouse: $10
- Laptop Mousepad: $10
- Mobile Hotspot Unit: $80
- Hotspot Power Cord/Adapter: $30
- Hotspot Case: $10
Total Replacement Cost: $615